The Michigan District does not provide legal advice.
Please consult with your legal counsel for specific application to your ministry.
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act passed by the Senate on March 25 includes several provisions for relief for 501(c)(3) entities, including our congregations, schools, and ministries.
The Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) provides financial relief for many of our congregations and ministries that are keeping workers employed during the pandemic. Employers have until June 30, 2020 to apply for a PPP loan.
- Lutheran Services in America Webinar – on loan forgiveness (7/14/20)
The Concordia Plan Services website (https://www.concordiaplans.org/hub/covid-19-what-you-need-to-know.html) remains the official site for the LCMS in regards to the CARES Act. We encourage you to track resources as provided there as well as information shared on this page as we learn more from the State of Michigan.
We encourage congregations and ministries to also watch guidance on the Treasury Department’s website which is updated regularly at https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/top-priorities/cares-act/assistance-for-small-businesses.
Expanded Unemployment Provisions – Michigan has released information about the expanded eligibility for Unemployment: https://www.michigan.gov//documents/leo/COVID-CARES_Act_4-13_686881_7.pdf Michigan has published Fact Sheet 172 on Church Worker Unemployment – https://www.michigan.gov/documents/leo/Fact_Sheet_172_-_Pandemic_Unemployment_Assistance_4-2020-sec_686888_7.pdf ( 4/23/20)
- Facility Reopening Guidance
- Michigan Executive Orders
- Alliance Defending Freedom – this video discusses separation of church and state issues in light of the pandemic.
- Alliance Defending Freedom – Impact of Supreme Court Rulings on Churches and Ministries Across America (Webinar recording) – added 8/14/20
- Liability/Risk Management Resources – added 5/19/20
- Concordia Plan Services
- Church Extension Fund – Congregations that need immediate cash flow assistance may contact CEF regarding special terms for lines of credit.
- Michigan District Business Office
- Church Law and Tax
- Lutheran Services in America
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act posting