The Call Process


How to call a pastor or seminary graduate, inquire about an intentional interim minister, or find pulpit supply:

Pastor – To receive an electronic copy of the call documents you must first contact Laurie Brown or Martha Wohlfeil or call 888.225.2111. You will need to provide:

  • Your name
  • Congregation’s Name
  • Congregation’s City and Address

You will then receive instructions on how to obtain the documents electronically.

PLEASE NOTE: The District office needs to be notified when a worker accepts or declines a call.

Calling a Sole/Senior PastorThe Call Manual

Seminary Graduate Request – Contact the President’s Office for an application form.

Interim Ministry – There are times when it is beneficial for a congregation to have a specially trained pastor who will serve in an intentional manner and for specific purposes. Intentional interim ministers assist a congregation in coming to terms with its grief and past, adjusting to change in leadership, looking realistically at its current identity, and preparing to communicate its needs and vision to its future pastor. Learn more.

Supply Pastors – From time to time, a congregation needs a pastor who would be willing to serve while their own pastor is on vacation. A list of Supply Pastors is available by contacting the President’s office at 888.225.2111 or send an email to Laurie Brown.


Call Documents – Commissioned

To receive an electronic copy of the call documents you must first contact Jennifer Rumberger via email or 888.225.2111 ext. 262. She will need to receive the following information from you:

  • Name
  • Congregation’s Name
  • Congregation’s Address
  • Position for Call

You will then receive instructions on how to obtain the documents electronically.

Call Rubrics for Commissioned Ministers

To assist you in explaining the call process for all commissioned workers you can view our Call Rubrics for Commissioned Ministers. This document helps explain the call process, when to notify the District Office, paperwork required to install workers, and many other items.

Non-Tenured Calls

This sample packet of documents can be used by our Lutheran schools to help avoid confusion with non-tenured calls.

Synodical Graduate Call Procedure

Use when calling from Concordia University System

Calling entities submits a Candidate Request Form:

  • Placement Directors send candidate credentials to calling entities for consideration
  • Calling entities contact candidates of choice to inquire regarding interest and availability for interview
  • Calling entities contact Placement Director to request that their final candidate of choice be designated for a Divine Call to their congregation
  • AFTER a candidate agrees to designation, calling entity issues a Call, sending completed Call documents to their district president for review and approval.
  • District President sends the signed Call document to the appropriate Placement Director

Call List Request

Michigan District congregations that submit a call list request for a Commissioned special ministry position from the District Office should allow three to four weeks for processing. In your email, please include: contact person, daytime phone and email, name of congregation, city, position description, who it replaces, potential nominees, and any additional information. Please also attach a job description. Email your request to Jennifer Rumberger.

For call lists for principals and teachers, Michigan District congregations and schools should use the form on the bottom of this page to request a call list: