The following are ways to financially support ministries of the Michigan District:
- Cash – one-time, pledge, recurring gift, tribute/memorial, thankoffering
- Online at michigandistrict.org/donate/
- Mail a check to:
- Michigan District, LCMS, Development Office, 3773 Geddes Rd., Ann Arbor, MI 48105
- Call Linda Ekong at 734.213.4265
- Check with your employer for a matching gift opportunity.
- IRA Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) – consult with your financial advisor about making a direct gift from your fund to reduce taxable income.
- IRA Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCD) for donors who are older than 70 1/2 years of age – consult with your financial advisor about making a direct gift from your fund to reduce taxable income (see details in this example)
- Publicly traded securities (stocks, bonds, and mutual funds) – donate appreciated assets by contacting the Michigan District LCMS for donation details.
- Donor Advised Funds (DAF) – recommend a grant.
- Real estate – donate appreciated improved or unimproved land.
- Personal property – donate significant fair market value items such as collections, antiques, jewelry, etc.
- Thrivent Choice funds – select the Michigan District, LCMS.
- Charity Motors – donate a vehicle and designate proceeds to the Michigan District, LCMS
- Charitable Bequest – designate an amount, percentage, or specific asset in your will/trust.
- Beneficiary Designation – list the Michigan District, LCMS, as a beneficiary of your retirement assets, life insurance, annuity, or other financial accounts. An excess life insurance policy may be surrendered and directly distributed to the Michigan District, LCMS.
- Life Income Assets – establish a charitable gift annuity or charitable remainder trust to create an income stream during your lifetime and benefit the Michigan District, LCMS upon your death.
- Protected Assets – establish a life estate that allows you to maintain use and enjoyment of gifted property during your lifetime. Establish a charitable lead trust to make lifetime gifts to the Michigan District, LCMS which will benefit your personal and non-charitable designees upon your death.
Annual Fund Designations
The following are the fund designations that the district suggests you consider supporting.
- Greatest Need/Unrestricted – Ongoing and special needs
- General Endowment – Invested with distributions for ongoing and special needs
- Lutheran Education – Early childhood centers and K-12 school support
- Missions & Ministry – Training, grants, and administrative support for great compassion and great commission endeavors
- Conference & Training Support – District-sponsored training and enrichment events
- Leadership Development – Activities and scholarships for current and next generation leaders
- Church Worker Care – Preventive and immediate assistance and referrals
Consult with your financial advisor to review the tax advantages of making a charitable gift. The District also maintains partnerships with the LCMS Foundation and Tri-Star Trust to guide you through direct and deferred gift planning, when needed.
Contact Laura Thomas, Director of Development, at the Michigan District Office for gift assistance and to determine gift acceptance policies and procedures. | Email / 734.213.4264